Job of the Month: Legal
In-House Legal Counsel
ThinCats is the trading name of Business Loan Network Limited. ThinCats are an alternative finance provider and was founded in the aftermath of the global financial crisis with an aim to offer secured loans to ambitious and growing trading UK SMEs who are struggling to access funding through traditional channels, whilst providing institutional and retail investors with attractive rates of interest unavailable through many conventional investment portfolios. ThinCats is a true alternative to high street banks.
They balance traditional financial expertise with innovative analytics and technology. Cumulatively, they give us our edge and enable us to offer a truly different approach to finance.
Reporting to the General Counsel the main responsibility for the In-House Legal Counsel will be to assist in the lending and transaction processes of the core business. In addition, providing full support to the GC on a broad range of matters such as legal input on corporate documents including third party service agreements, platform terms and conditions of use, loan and securities.
Working within a collegiate team in what is an exceptionally busy, friendly and growing environment, this role is likely to evolve further as ThinCats itself continues on its journey of significant growth and acquiring market share.
More specifically, the In-House Legal Counsel will be responsible for:
- Providing accurate legal advice on secured lending transactions;
- Preparing loan and security documentation to safeguard the Business’ interests as a secured lender;
- Liaising with Borrower’s solicitors and our external advisers and business partners to complete lending transactions in a timely and effective manner;
- Dealing with post-completion registrations and formalities relating to lending transactions
- Assisting Loan Management Team in relation to the preparation of Default Notices and Variation Agreements;
- Providing advice and assistance to other departments of the Group;
- Maintain legal knowledge and be aware of any legislative changes.
ThinCats are looking for an outstanding individual to join as their In-house Legal Counsel. In this exciting new role, you will work closely with the GC and other members of the senior management team.
You are likely to be *1 – 2 years PQE, currently working in private practice and have experience of corporate transactions and/or banking. More specifically you will possess:
- Experience with Lending and security documents / transactions;
- Commercial acumen;
- Adept at managing stakeholders;
- Strong drafting and negotiations skills;
- Broad commercial law experience;
- High degree of professional ethics and integrity;
- Sound judgement and ability to analyse situations and information;
- Outstanding communication skills;
- Can Do Attitude; and
- An understanding of Banking Law and/or Syndicated Lending is desirable.
A highly attractive remuneration package is offered with this position including non-contributory pension scheme, bonus plus other benefits.
ThinCats look to provide careers not ‘jobs’ and recognise that moving out of private practice so early on in one’s career can be a daunting thought. They work hard to ensure that you have all the necessary skills and professional development to make a success of the role. The General Counsel has recently written a blog on making the transition into an in-house role and this can be found here.
*Whilst the above PQE is an indicator of the experience level required all candidates will be considered on their merit regardless of PQE.
If you think that this opportunity is the right career move for you, then get in touch and speak to one of our consultants.
Want to find out more about this job? Click here